[SmartcardServices-Users] OpenDirectory

Shawn A. Geddis geddis at apple.com
Tue Sep 29 13:54:06 PDT 2009

On Sep 29, 2009, at 4:42 PM, Michele (Mike) Hjorleifsson wrote:
> Anyone integrated Smart Card Service logon with Open Directory ?
> Been looking for some how to's but no luck so far.
> I imagine it would be a matter of modifying the LDAP Authorization
> attributes, unless password server supports this which i dont think
> it does.

Mike,

There are two methods available today that were documented in an old
Apple KBase article (which needs to be updated) , but a third one is
what most folks are looking for and it is coming in the future....

Available Today
Method 1:	PubKeyHash		Designates Identity to be used for Challenge
								- Adds a ;pubkeyhash;  value to AuthenticationAuthority
attribute
Method 2:	Attribute Matching	Designates Attributes to be used for
Lookup in DS for Match prior to Challenge
								- Defined within the cacloginconfig.plist file for defined
matching

Coming in the future from Apple but available from third-party
products today
Method 3:	PKINIT

	Which gives you SSO to your DS from your Smart Card (X.509 Cert)

	3rd-Party Products
	"ADmitMac for CAC"		Thursby Software Systems
	"DirectControl"			Centrify

Shawn Geddis				  			   geddis at mac.com
Security Consulting Engineer

MacOSForge Project Lead:                           Smart Card Services
	Web:	http://smartcardservices.macosforge.org/