[SmartcardServices-Users] Adobe and PKCS11 Module

Shawn A. Geddis geddis at apple.com
Fri Mar 26 07:59:14 PDT 2010

On Mar 25, 2010, at 11:10 AM, Mueller, David S CIV SPAWARSYSCEN-PACIFIC,	55620 wrote:
> I've never tried using Acrobat Professional or 10.6, but with Adobe Reader and 10.5, I never got smart card support working on OS X before Reader 9.0.  Starting with Reader 9.1, you don't need to add a PKCS#11 module as they use the system Keychain.
>
> If you're trying to use a DoD CAC/PIV card, you'll also need to load the DoD PKI certificates, as outlined in the post you linked.
>
> - David

David,

It is true that earlier versions of Acrobat required PKCS#11 and current versions utilize Apple's built-in Security Services (inculding keychains), but they do not use the "System" keychain as noted.  They access your supported Smart Card as a Keychain via the APIs, but the System Keychain is a separate keychain altogether.

> If you're trying to use a DoD CAC/PIV card, you'll also need to load the DoD PKI certificates, as outlined in the post you linked.

There is no need to ever "load the DoD PKI certificates" to use the CAC-NG, unless you are referring to the newest Intermediate CAs that were just published and not yet included in a Software Update for Mac OS X.
DOD CA-25, DOD CA-26, DOD EMAIL CA-25, DOD EMAIL CA-26

Adding the "SystemCACertificates.keychain" to the Keychain list (which already ships with Mac OS X) gives you all of the other Intermediate CA Certs used within DoD.
/System/Library/Keychains/SystemCACertificates.keychain

-Shawn
Shawn Geddis				  			   geddis at mac.com
Security Consulting Engineer				   geddis at apple.com

MacOSForge Project Lead:                           Smart Card Services
	Web:	http://smartcardservices.macosforge.org/