[SmartcardServices-Users] Problems w OmniKey CardMan 3121 w generic CCID under SL

Patrik Ekdahl patrik.ekdahl at ericsson.com
Mon Mar 29 05:43:02 PDT 2010

Hi Shawn,

Thank you for your quick response.

. Please submit any development bugs as a Ticket [1]
Yes I will, as soon as I'm sure that it is not me that is the cause....

. Everything must be compiled 64-bit for Snow Leopard (10.6.x)
I did. But strangely, running a "file" on
ifd-ccid.bundle/Content/MacOS/libccid.dylib tells me that it's only compiled
for 32 bit (i386 and ppc)

. ifd-ccid is actually statically linked to libusb and not IOKit
Okey, I see that now. /usr/local/bin/libusb-config --libs gets me libusb
too. Sorry my misstake.

. You can not just build your *own* version of pcsc-lite 1.5.5 (pcscd) for
Mac OS X, since there
is a fair amount of Apple addtional code to integrate with securityd.  The
v1.4.x that is included
in Mac OS X is posted under the Source Branch.
I was actually trying to de-integrate them by renaming pcscd to pcscd.new
and run that from the shell with the additional --debug option. It's a bit
strange that the arguments of pcscd are hardcoded into securityd and there
is no way (that I saw) to pass additional arguments.

B.t.w. If I boot the Mac with a reader connected and with a standard cell
phone UICC inserted (containing no login token or anything) it seems like
the login
window just flashes between the normal login screen and an all-blue screen,
and you're not able to enter your password as during a normal
(username/password-based) login.
I had to move the "builtin:smartcard-sniffer" down below the
"builtin:authenticate,privileged" entry under "system.login.console" key in
the /etc/authorization file. (also moved it under the key "authenticate").
This happens with the orignal versions of pcscd and ifd-ccid, so it's not
something I indueced. This issue might be "off-topic" but you might be able
to direct me to the appropriate place.

Is it possible you are using Extended APDUs ?  Note at the Smart Card Reader
Matrix [2] for the CCID Reader Driver that for the 3121, supports "short
APDU mode" [3].
I  am using short APDUs. My standard test APDU  is "00 a4 00 04 02 3f 00"
(select master file and return FCP)

Regards
/Patrik