[SmartcardServices-Users] SetIdentityPreference on OSX 10.4 Tiger

Dann, Geoff CIV NAVFAC ESC, PW geoff.dann at navy.mil
Fri May 21 16:58:06 PDT 2010

I've grabbed the SetIdentityPreference program from  http://smartcardservices.macosforge.org/trac/wiki/installers , and have a couple of questions:

(1) SetIdentityPreference returns an error if I enter a URL that is a directory, like the one for NMCI OWA, "http://webmail.west.nmci.navy.mil/".

(2) When run, SetIdentityPreference lists two email certificates to choose from, but both are "usage:  wrap", and the one needed for NMCI Outlook Web Access (OWA) is "usage: encrypt, verify, wrap, derive", far as I know.

I did get SetIdentityPreference to work with the newly-enabled Defense Travel System (DTS).  The DTS URL ends in a file name, not in a slash.  DTS wants to see the Identity (non-email) certificate.

Possibly related factor:  I have NMCI OWA working by using the AFCCertificateControl preference pane that Paul Nelson of Thursby posted close to two years ago.  It's supposed to hide the Identity (non-email) certificate from applications so they'll use an email certificate.  It contains a check-box to allow the non-email cert to be seen or not seen.  The check-box doesn't seem to have an effect, so the only way now to have the identity (non-email) certificate seen is to uninstall the software.  So to switch between NMCI-OWA and DTS I'd need to go through several hoops.

Any ideas what I might be missing?
Anyone else using Tiger still?

Geoffrey Dann
geoff.dann at navy.mil
NAVFAC Engineering Service Center, ESC231
1100 23rd Ave, Port Hueneme CA 93043-4370
805-982-1366 / DSN-551-1366 / fax 805-982-5388
cell 805-901-6777