[SmartcardServices-Users] Issue with CAC on Snow Leopard

Paul Nelson nelson at thursby.com
Tue Nov 23 08:27:39 PST 2010

On Nov 23, 2010, at 9:15 AM, Charles Victory wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a SCR3310 device and am using a GEMALTO ACCESS 64KV2 CAC. I have downloaded and installed CAC-NG (BETA v0.95)/Snow Leopard from http://smartcardservices.macosforge.org/trac/wiki/installers‘. I can now see my CAC certificates on the CAC Keychain where I could not before this step. That is great, however the 4 certificates I have are all showing that they have invalid issuers. When I show the certificate after evaluating it, it shows that the DoD Interoperability Root Ca 1 and DoD Root Ca 2 cannot be used due to unrecognized critical extensions. This shows up when I go to use Outlook 2011 for Mac and it will not allow me to digitally sign or encrypt my e-mail. I don’t think it is a CAC issue because when I use the CAC on my old XP PC using Outlook 2003, I am able to digitally sign and encrypt my e-mail there.
>
> Can someone provide some insight as to what my issue may be??

This is most likely due to a certificate extension being flagged as Critical, but not being understood by the Apple Security framework.  It could be that your certificates have a name constraints extension flagged as critical.
I don't think Apple recognizes the name constraints, and must report that the certificate is invalid due to the critical flag.

I have reported the name constraints problem as bug with the title "Apple PKI trust policy does not handle name constraints (RFC RFC5280)"

Here is the bug report text: