[SmartcardServices-Users] Question from a New Person Testing Smart Cards

Miller, Timothy J. tmiller at mitre.org
Thu Feb 24 18:23:47 PST 2011

On Feb 24, 2011, at 3:42 PM, Will Coleman wrote:

> Tim, Thanks again for helping here.

In case you haven't guessed, my working day is spent supporting the DoD CAC program.  :)

> 								I¹m just thinking out loud
> here, in that one disabling all the available smart-card middleware, you
> are really still stuck since you have nothing to help windows read the
> card for authentication, correct?

Correct.  Windows won't be able to use any of the keys on the card.  If the certificates are already registered in CAPI the system might *try* to find the keys, but it will fail (it will likely prompt you to either insert the card or install the necessary middleware).  You must have middleware of some sort.

This is true on OS X too, but Apple bundles CAC and PIV middleware with the system.

-- Tim