[SmartcardServices-Users] How to uninstall smartcard service from Lion

Shawn Geddis geddis at me.com
Sat Apr 21 15:40:25 PDT 2012

On Apr 17, 2012, at 3:45 PM, Nick Duan wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I just realized that the smartcard service (2.0) doesn’t work for the CAC I have.  So how can I uninstall the software?  It’s a service, not an Mac app.   There is no instruction on the smartcard service wiki on how to install it..
>
> Thanks!
>
> ND

Nick,

Sorry there was confusion here.

All that was installed were “Tokend” modules to support various Smart Cards (BELPIC, CAC, CACNG, PIV)

There is no need to remove them, since they will only load when you insert a card – will be used to communicate with the appropriate card.

If you still prefer to remove them, simply remove them from the Tokend directory:

/System/Library/Security/tokend/

You can do this as follows (for a specific Tokend:

sudo rm -R /System/Library/Security/tokend/CACNG.tokend

Of just remove all of the Tokend modules if you would like (this will remove support for all card types):

sudo rm -R /System/Library/Security/tokend/*.tokend

Will look to provide a removal tool in the future for folks that want to remove all or specific Tokend modules.  As noted earlier, there is no need to remove them, but it does not hurt to do so if you do not use them.

-Shawn
Shawn Geddis				  			   geddis at me.com
Security Consulting Engineer                              geddis at apple.com

MacOSForge Project Lead:                           Smart Card Services
	Web:	http://smartcardservices.macosforge.org/