[SmartcardServices-Users] smart card installation on OS X 10.8.2

Shawn Geddis geddis at me.com
Thu Nov 8 14:34:33 PST 2012

On Nov 8, 2012, at 5:20 PM, Jorge Bastos Neto <jbastosneto at me.com> wrote:
> Dear Shawn,
> I have on my card my personal digital certificate used to digitally sign contracts and documents
> I am new on mac and I am kind lost right now. Can you give me some light?

Jorge,

OK.  You say you installed the SafeSign software token administration.  Is the Admin software accessing your token using PKCS#11 or  Tokend ?  If it is using PKCS#11, that is a completely separate Smart Card abstraction layer that is not provided with OS X and does not integrate into the SmartCard Services (ie. Tokend).  If this is the case, then you will never see the Smart Card in Keychain Access which relies on Tokend.

If you installed the SafeSign software, aren't they providing support for you and their software ?

If you are still a bit lost and are stuck troubleshooting on your own, try the following...

Open a Terminal window and execute the following command after the '$' prompt:

$ tail -F /var/log/system.log

Insert your Smart Card reader and card and watch the lovely information flow by.

Wait a second and then hit the <control> key and the <c> key at the same time to kill the tail command.
What you will see is logging information relating to processes running which we should see what is going on.

Capture the information that flowed by and save as a file.

Submit all of the information and your log contents as a ticket at the SmartCardService Project and I'll take a look at it.

New Ticket:	https://smartcardservices.macosforge.org/trac/newticket

- Shawn
Shawn Geddis				  			          geddis at me.com
Enterprise Security Consulting Engineer, Apple     geddis at apple.com

MacOSForge: Smart Card Services  Project Lead:
	Web:	http://smartcardservices.macosforge.org/