[SmartcardServices-Users] Java and CAC

Disiena, Ridley (GRC-VG00)[DB Consulting Group, Inc.] ridley.disiena at nasa.gov
Wed Jul 30 09:19:48 PDT 2014

AFAIK, the last time the PKCS11 shim was released by Apple was in the 10.7 GM. I don’t believe it is “supported” anymore, I would have to defer to OS X Forge on that. Having said that, from my experience, if one wanted to use the shim module on a later OS version it does still have functionality as long as you also have also have a functional tokend that is compatible with the card.  Technically one can just move the tokendPKCS11.so from a 10.7 build to the new OS and point to it just as you did before.

If you wanted a supported PKCS11, you could use commercial middleware that will work for CAC/PIV. There are several middleware products, but HIDs ActivClient 4 for Mac is the only one with PKCS11 support that I am aware of. They have their own PKCS11 module that they support. They include a Mozilla plugin as well for Firefox and Thunderbird, but anything else that needs PKCS11 can be configured to use the ActivClient module. Other advantages to ActivClient is it does reset the cache if a card gets updated with new certificates, so no having to clear out /var/db/TokenCache/tokens/. It also supports key history on card, so old keys in the key history slots can be leveraged, another unique feature that the other comercial middleware does not yet have.

-Ridley