[SmartcardServices-Users] [EXTERNAL] Re: Pkinit working on MacOSX 10.9.5 or 10.10?

Glenn Machin gmachin at sandia.gov
Mon Aug 31 04:31:28 PDT 2015

What I am looking for is the configuration of the MacOSX client.   When
I monitor with wireshark the only time I can see a pkinit AS_REQ is
using the commandline:

             kinit -C KEYCHAIN:

But only after I have already unlocked the PIV keychain.

The MacOSX 10.9.5 or 10.10 systems have an /etc/krb5.conf that has the
following pkinit configuration, under the realms stanza for both an MIT
KDC and Windows KDC who are enabled for pkinit. Note you don't need the
"krbtgt/realm at realm" in the KDC cert SAN if you set
pkinit_require_krbtgt_otherName to false:

   pkinit_identities = KEYCHAIN:
pkinit_anchors=FILE:/usr/local/kerberos/config/etc/pkinit/certificates/trusted-ca
   pkinit_require_crl_checking = false
   pkinit_kdc_hostname = Hostname_of_KDC
   pkinit_cert_match = &&<EKU>msScLogin,<KU>digitalSignature
   pkinit_cert_match = <SAN>.*@FEDIDCARD.GOV
   pkinit_require_krbtgt_otherName = false

The problem is I never see pam_opendirectory or pam_krb5 make a Kerberos
authentication call (AS_REQ) using the PKINIT preauth data (image below).

After installing the smartcard services and doing the steps below, I can
use the PIV for login and for screenlock, but no Kerberos calls take place.

  * security authorizationdb smartcard enable
  * Insert smartcard for USER
  * sc_auth accept -u USER –k PIV

An Apple document talked about configuring /etc/cacloginconfig.plist,
which I did, but no change.

So I am curious if anyone has it working outside of using the kinit
commandline?

Thanks

       Glenn

Kerberos AS_REQ using pkinit preauth data (padata):