[SmartcardServices-Users] Store key on NFC tag that is acceptable to sc_auth?

Henrik Brautaset Aronsen henrik at synth.no
Tue Jan 20 11:51:50 PST 2015

Yoann Gini wrote:
>> Le 18 janv. 2015 à 14:07, Henrik Brautaset Aronsen<henrik at synth.no>  a écrit :
>>
>> Is it possible to generate a key and store it on an NFC tag, so that it shows up with "sc_auth hash"?
>>
>> I'm trying to login to OSX using NFC using info from http://support.apple.com/kb/TA24244.  The tag I have is a 13.56MHz ISO14443A&  NFC Type 2 compliant NTAG216 RFID chipset, and I'm using a ACS ACR122T USB reader.
>
> Which driver did you use for that?
>
> By default, PC/SC Lite don’t know how to talk with cards, you need a driver for that.
>
> For what I’ve see, a project is started called ifdnfc to bring this functionality and support NFC card for PKCS11 via OpenSC.
>
> But the source code isn’t really active and I don’t know if it work now.

Hi Yoann,

Thanks for your swift reply!  I wasn't aware of the driver requirement,
that's good to know.

I built pcscd and ifdnfc. ifdnfc-activate connects to pcscd, but says
that it "Cannot find a smart card reader".   testpcsc says:

    Testing SCardEstablishContext    : Command successful.
    Testing SCardIsValidContext    : Command successful.
    Testing SCardIsValidContext    : Invalid handle. (don't panic)
    Testing SCardListReaderGroups    : Command successful.
    Group 01: SCard$DefaultReaders
    Testing SCardFreeMemory        : Command successful.
    Testing SCardListReaders    : Cannot find a smart card reader.
(don't panic)
    Testing SCardGetStatusChange
    Please insert a working reader    :

The stock OSX version of pcsctest finds the reader just fine:

     $ /usr/bin/pcsctest

     Testing SCardEstablishContext    : Command successful.
     Testing SCardGetStatusChange
     Please insert a working reader   : Command successful.
     Testing SCardListReaders         : Command successful.
     Reader 01: ACS ACR122U

Maybe I need ifdnfc to talk to
/System/Library/Frameworks/PCSC.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.apple.ctkpcscd.xpc/Contents/MacOS/com.apple.ctkpcscd
instead of my self-built pcscd?

Best regards,
Henrik