[SmartcardServices-Users] com.apple.ctkpcscd - refresh /usr/local/libexec/SmartCardServices/drivers

Ludovic Rousseau ludovic.rousseau at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 11:33:38 PDT 2015

> All,

Hello,

> 1. In OS X 10.11;
>
> I was wondering if there was a way to gracefully refresh
> com.apple.ctkpcscd (child process of securityd, seems to be a framework
> launched by /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/ctkd.plist) to detect new drivers
> in /usr/local/libexec/SmartCardServices/drivers to avoid needing a restart.
>
> A launchctl unload/load doesn’t do the trick, and (i know this is dumb,
> but i was exploring the behavior) a killall securityd doesn’t either.

What I do is to "kill" the com.apple.ifdreader process.
I used to send the KILL (-9) signal but a HUP signal works as well and
gives a change to the process to exit cleanly.
Note that any connection to the reader(s) will be lost.

The com.apple.ifdreader process is automatically restarted when a new USB
reader is connected.

Maybe there is an official (cleaner) way to do that but I do not know it.

> 2. Is there an equivalent mechanism in OS X 10.7->10.10?

10.10 is the same as 10.11 on this point.
On 10.x with x < 10 you can kill the pcscd process.

> If there isn’t a public way to do this, we’ll deal with the restart
> happily.

You should not have to reboot a Unix system :-)

Bye

--
 Dr. Ludovic Rousseau