[SmartcardServices-Users] mixed success with two smart cards and SCR 335

Kostantinos Koukopoulos koukopoulos at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 01:41:16 PDT 2015

Hi all,

I'm trying to use two different smartcards and having mixed success, using
Mac OS X Yosemite. My reader is a SCM SCR 335 USB reader and the two cards
I have tried are the OpenPGP card by g10 [1] and the Estonian ID card [2].
So far I have been able to use gnupg to decrypt a file using a key on the
openpgp card, and I have also managed to configure Firefox and Chrome to
see the certificate on the Estonian ID card. So, already this is
considerable success and I thank you for the software you provide to make
it possible.

However not everything is going smoothly. For one, while I have the openpgp
card in the reader I see these messages in the console:

9/17/15 10:46:58.268 AM com.apple.SecurityServer[80]: token in reader SCM
Microsystems Inc. SCR 335 cannot be used (error 229)
9/17/15 10:46:58.537 AM com.apple.SecurityServer[80]: reader SCM
Microsystems Inc. SCR 335: state changed 32 -> 290
9/17/15 10:47:00.947 AM com.apple.SecurityServer[80]: token in reader SCM
Microsystems Inc. SCR 335 cannot be used (error 229)
9/17/15 10:47:00.949 AM com.apple.SecurityServer[80]: reader SCM
Microsystems Inc. SCR 335: state changed 288 -> 34
9/17/15 10:47:01.197 AM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]:
(com.apple.ctkpcscd[11360]) Service exited due to signal: Killed: 9

These messages repeat endlessly until I remove the card. This does not
happen with the estonian id, only with the openpgp card. Any idea what
might be causing this message?

Second, I tried to configure Mac OS X to allow logging in with the Estonian
ID smartcard. I used the "sc_auth accept" command. I didn't see any error,
however I was unable to test it because after a restart I realized that my
smartcard's PIN was blocked. I don't have the PUK with me at the moment,
but I will retry when I do. Does anybody have any tips as to what I should
do? I'm afraid to try with my openpgp card in case the same thing happens.

As for the software installed: I have installed Smartcard Services (v2.0.2)
*and* I have installed the Estonian ID software (which I think installs
Safesign, i.e. /usr/local/lib/libaetpkss.dylib). The first I did while
trying to use my openpgp card, and the second while trying to use my
estonian digital id card. Is there a possibility that they are somehow
conflicting?

Thank you,
Konstantinos

1. http://www.g10code.com/p-card.html