[SmartcardServices-Users] OS Sierra

Disiena, Ridley (MSFC-IS90)[EAST2] ridley.disiena at nasa.gov
Mon Apr 3 14:22:19 PDT 2017

For some reason the link isn’t on the smartcard services page, but it is there: https://github.com/smartcardservices/smartcardservices/releases/download/2.1.2/SmartCardServices2.1.2-OSX10.12.zip

If using it for PIV, note that that the 10.12 package appears to be an older compiled version of the PIV.tokend that does not have new the new changes for on-card key history support and also probably missing the fix for a decryption bug when using it with Outlook 2016. Those features have since been added/fixed in this source:
https://github.com/smartcardservices/smartcardservices/tree/master/Tokend/PIV

-Ridley

On 4/3/17, 3:14 PM, "smartcardservices-users-bounces at lists.macosforge.org on behalf of Blumenthal, Uri - 0553 - MITLL" <smartcardservices-users-bounces at lists.macosforge.org on behalf of uri at ll.mit.edu> wrote:

    On 4/3/17, 2:59 PM, "smartcardservices-users-bounces at lists.macosforge.org on behalf of Jorgensen, Will A" <smartcardservices-users-bounces at lists.macosforge.org on behalf of Will at pnnl.gov> wrote:

        SmartCardServices has largely been superseded in Sierra by the Crypto token kit API’s.

    True, and it means that Safari and Apple Mail (but nothing else!) on Sierra should work with the smartcards with no extra software/middleware.

          For example, if you are looking for the smart card to show in the Keychain the way it used to it doesn’t.

    Yes, and it indicates a worse problem: no application that relies on the old CDSA (did I get the acronym right? () architecture works. That means: MS Office apps won’t even see the smartcard, Adobe Acrobat won’t be able to sign anything using your token, and on top of that - any app that required PKCS#11 interface (OpenSSL-based apps, Java apps, etc).

    The only solution at this time is to install extra middleware that speaks CDSA and/or provides PKCS#11 interface. OpenSC is one of such packages. Thursby PKard will provide CDSA (so MS Office and Adobe Acrobad would work). I’ve been told that Centrify would provide both, but haven’t tried it.

          We are still using some applications that rely on that function and so we are using the free centrify tokend module.

    Some apps (like MS Office) are OK when tokend is available. Others (Java) require PKCS#11 interface – tokend won’t help there.

    ‘