[Tokend-Dev] Getting OpenSC.tokend to work on Snow Leopard

João Poupino joao.poupino at ist.utl.pt
Wed Sep 16 14:52:05 PDT 2009

Hi All,

I'm trying to build a working OpenSC tokend [1] on Snow Leopard, but
unfortunately I'm facing some issues and can't really understand what
could be the cause.

I've successfully built OpenSC.tokend on Snow Leopard through two
different methods: using darwinbuild and through a modified Xcode
project [2]  provided by Martin Paljak. In both methods the result the
same: a tokend that (almost) works.

The generated tokend binary supports both the i386 and x86_64
architectures. When I insert the smart card, the tokend is correctly
started, all keys and certificates are shown in keychain access, and
all seems to be working fine. But, when I try to login locally
(loginwindow) or with Safari to a site, it simply fails. It doesn't
crash, but it doesn't appear to be doing anything at all. All
exchanged APDUs are ok, which leads me to believe that the problem
might not be with libopensc (that the tokend uses to communicate with
the card) but in the tokend code itself…

The OpenSC.tokend code being used it at [3].

Some notes:

Trying to unlock the keychain associated with the tokend works.
If I try to login locally with a smart card, the following message can
be seen in /var/log/secure.log: authorizationhost[2237]: failed to
sign data (-2147416018)
OpenSC's command line tools (pkcs11-tool, pkcs15-tool, etc.) and the
PKCS #11 module (opensc-pkcs11.so) work fine.

Could anyone explain how does one properly debugs a tokend? I'm not
referring to lower level debugging methods like capturing APDUs and
such - I'm ok with that. I've tried putting some debug statements in
the tokend code but all seems "ok". Is there any way to follow the
execution flow of the Tokend and maybe even securityd? I think that
without having the big picture of the architecture (what components
exist, what is their relationship, how do they interact, what do they
expect, …) it will be pretty difficult to find the problem.

If anyone can help, I would be really grateful!

Thank you.

João

[1] - http://www.opensc-project.org/sca/wiki/OpenscTokend
[2] - http://wiki.github.com/martinpaljak/opensc.tokend