[Xquartz-dev] The 2.1.0 package and Apple System Fonts

Merle Reinhart merlereinhart at mac.com
Sun Dec 2 14:40:21 PST 2007

THAT was interesting!!!

Anyway, I took a look at what "xset q" said as Harald suggested.
Sure enough /System/Library/Fonts and /Library/Fonts was not included
in the font path.

So, I ran mkfontscale and mkfontdir in both /System/Library/Fonts
and /Library/Fonts.  No issues this far.

Now I did "xset fp+ /System/Library/Fonts,/Library/Fonts" to add the
two system areas to the font path.  "xset q" now shows them.

I then ran "xfontsel" to see if they showed up and all hell broke
loose.  The Terminal hung, the Console hung, the SystemUIServer hung,
Finder hung...

So, it looks like adding the system fonts in this way is a really bad
idea at the moment.

This appears to be very reproducible as this is the second time I've
hung the machine (I'm sending this from my laptop).  Time to reboot...

Merle