[Xquartz-dev] code cleanup, combining quartzBlah.c and darwinBlah.c, etc, etc...

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at berkeley.edu
Tue Dec 4 12:36:35 PST 2007

> I'd say killing off fullscreen is probably not a great idea since we
> do want to get it working at some point.  I'm also not thrilled about
> killing off cr, since I think it's actually potentially a better way
> of doing the server.  It's not like you really have to *look* in those
> dirs...

Sorry, I sent that email long before it actually got through and just
assumed apathetic response and killed them off (we can bring them back
easily if they're ever needed).

Fullscreen support would be great (and is a high priority), but the
code in fullscreen/ is not how to do it.  AFAICT, that code never even
worked.

As for cr, I agree it would be neat to use native windows maybe and
lightening the responsibility of quartz-wm... but I think that would
be best for a bigger rewrite at some point down the line (and be
kdrive based).

If I actually am misunderstanding some understanding here (QUITE
possible), please let me know and I'll bring them back.  I agree cr
could be useful and I was most hesitant about getting rid of it (it
was removed from the official xorg-server tarballs but still in git,
so I decided just to kill it off for consistency).

---

The main reason I'm doing this is the dependencies, headers, etc are
all garbled up.  We've got just about every .c file pretty much
including every .h file and making their own prototype declarations
and extern declarations.  I'm going to clean this up a bit.
Additionally, I'm going to put the function prototypes for interface
functions (DarwinModeBlah) into their own header file (like
darwinKeyboard_interface.h) which will be included by the implementer
(like quartz/quartzKeyboard.c) rather than  have quartzKeyboard.c
include all of darwin.h and darwinKeyboard.h. ... and similarly for
quartz's interface to xpr (or cr or a future kdrive based version).

This cleanup plus associated documentation should help others jump in
a little easier.