[Xquartz-dev] Re: Xquartz-1.3.0-apple3

Ben Byer bbyer at apple.com
Fri Dec 7 16:08:37 PST 2007

"Cool" -- this still reproduces for me even with alloca disabled.

Program received signal EXC_BAD_ACCESS, Could not access memory.
Reason: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at address: 0x00062a24
[Switching to process 79040 thread 0x3203]
0x00098715 in fbBltOne (src=0x16a55740, srcStride=<value temporarily
unavailable, due to optimizations>, srcX=7, dst=0x62a24,
dstStride=<value temporarily unavailable, due to optimizations>,
dstX=16672, dstBpp=32, width=32, height=1, fgand=4278190080, fgxor=0,
bgand=4278190080, bgxor=16776960) at fbbltone.c:371
371					*dst = FbStippleRRop (*dst, mask,
(gdb) print src
$1 = (FbStip *) 0x16a55740
(gdb) print *src
$2 = 60
(gdb) print dst
$3 = (FbBits *) 0x62a24

So, fbBltOne is trying to write out too many bits.  I ran into this
bug a lot in the Tiger version, and did a lot of digging to isolate
the cause -- only to discover that it was a known issue.  They never
found the problem, but somewhere around 1.2 they put the following
workaround in:

185	    /*
186	     * Do not read past the end of the buffer!
187	     */
188	    srcEnd = src + height * srcStride;

... hm ... maybe we need something similar for dst?