[Xquartz-dev] Some fonts crash server? was Re: The 2.1.0 package and Apple System Fonts

Merle Reinhart merlereinhart at mac.com
Sat Dec 8 18:40:30 PST 2007

On Dec 8, 2007, at 9:17 PM, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

> On Dec 8, 2007, at 17:44, Ben Byer wrote:
>
>> On Dec 2, 2007, at 3:03 PM, Merle Reinhart wrote:
>>> Thread 1 Crashed:
>>> 0   libSystem.B.dylib             	0xffff07c7 __memcpy + 39
>>> 1   Xquartz                       	0x00008a75
>>> doListFontsAndAliases + 1205
>>> 2   Xquartz                       	0x00008fd1 ListFonts + 289
>>>
>>> So, things still look a bit iffy adding fonts (in general, I
>>> don't need to do this, but I find the Monaco font handy at times).
>>

>> Sorry for the delayed response on this.   This is a bug, and we
>> should be able to fix it, but I'm guessing it's caused by some
>> specific font on your system.  Can you try to narrow it down?
>> (Unfortunately, you might just have to start moving fonts back and
>> forth between directories until you find one font that makes the
>> crash happen.)
>
> And also do a refresh of mkfontdir, mkfontscale when you do...
> Also, you should probably do a binary search rather than trying one
> font at a time.
>
> The ones in /System/Library/Fonts are probably fine.  I'd be
> suspicious of /Library/Fonts first

I can't get it to crash now.  This is with Xquartz 1.3.0-apple4 that
Jeremy release earlier this evening that was Fink compatible.  This
version shows /System/Library/Fonts and /Library/Fonts by default in
"xset q".

However, if I go back to  the Xquartz 1.3 that was released on
20071201 (I believe it was the one included in the
X11-2.1.0.pkg...I'm losing track, sigh), then Xquartz crashes, but
before I can see the crash, the entire system hangs.  Note, this
version does NOT have the /System/Library/Fonts and /Library/Fonts
paths in "xset q" by default.

So, it appears something got fixed in the later version that works
better with adding fonts to the server.

Merle