[Xquartz-dev] x11-exec

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at berkeley.edu
Thu Dec 13 23:43:33 PST 2007

The main reason why I'm asking all this is because I want o figure out
how to divorce most of the bundle from the X11.app bundle and place it
somewhere in /usr/X11.  That is, the stuff used by Xquartz (main.nib,
the localization, etc) shouldn't really be in that .app.  We have this
weird interdependence between the two, and I think the end goal should
be like this:

launchd runs /usr/X11/bin/startx which is an sh script in xinit.  This
checks org.x.X11 plist to figure out extra command line arguments (the
stuff the 'server start X11.app' did) and starts Xquartz.  Xquartz
then loads its UI stuff, sets the icon, etc.

That way, people running Xquartz directly will see it with menus and
the right icon.  Also, I think this is a bit stronger from a software
engineering standpoint.  The only problem with that is that we'll then
have a new two-icon icon issue when people put /A/U/X11.app in the
dock... hrm...