[Xquartz-dev] X11.app detection - hints

Ben Byer bbyer at apple.com
Thu Dec 20 06:45:51 PST 2007

On Dec 19, 2007, at 5:50 PM, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

> Is there a way we can provide "hints" to the X11.app detection (in
> xinit.c)?  Right now, mine is getting set to ~/src/freedesktop/dist/
> Applications/Utilities/X11.app ... it seems like there should be a
> way to tell LSFindApplicationForInfo how to disambiguate between two
> matches...
>
> I looked at the documentation for LSFindApplicationForInfo and
> didn't find anything useful:
> http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Carbon/Reference/LaunchServicesReference/Reference/reference.html#/
> /apple_ref/c/func/LSFindApplicationForInfo

I ran into this quite a bit, too -- which I why I ended up leaving a
debugging printf in place.
AFAIK, the answer is "no".  It apparently has some heuristics it uses
to try to find the "right" thing (time modified, location, etc), but I
don't think there's any way to force it to pick something.  In my
testing, it somehow always managed to pick the weirdest possible
version of X11.app -- but most people won't have 9 different versions
of X11.app on their system, so I shrugged it off.

I'm not *positive* that you will actually have this program on your
system, but if you do, you might find it helpful for debugging -- /
System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/
LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister.
--
Ben Byer
CoreOS / BSD Technology Group, XDarwin maintainer