[Xquartz-dev] XQuartz 2.2.0_rc3 (includes spaces fix)

Jamie Kennea jamie at pompey.org
Wed Apr 9 06:00:01 PDT 2008

On Apr 9, 2008, at 12:13 AM, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
> # X11 works better with spaces

Jeremy, a huge thank you for this. This has been the big stumbling
block to moving over to Leopard for my work machine.

However I have a minor nitpick with the current implementation of
spaces. I seem to have to double click on an X11 window to activate it
when changing to a space. I've tried the following:

In space 1 create an xterm, switch to space 2, create another xterm.

Click on that xterm to focus is, switch back to space one, click on
that xterm to focus it -> nothing happens. Click again and the window
is focused. Go back to space 1, click on the xterm, click again to
focus, rinse, repeat.

However it doesn't seem to be 100% true. Sometimes one click works,
most of the time it doesn't. I can't figure out what the difference is
between when one click will do and when you need two.

I'd note that for other apps (e.g. Terminal.app) a window in a
different space doesn't lose focus when an window is focused in the
current space. So when you switch back to a space, the last Terminal
window that had focus in that space still has focus. It would be nice
if X11 acted this way, but reducing to a single consistant click to
focus would be fine also.

Thanks again,

Jamie