[Xquartz-dev] Re: XQuartz 2.2.0_rc3 (includes spaces fix)

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at berkeley.edu
Wed Apr 9 18:29:55 PDT 2008

On Apr 9, 2008, at 17:10, Merle Reinhart wrote:
> Jeremy,
>
> Just installed rc3.  A few comments on oddities...
>
> On initial X11 startup after the install (I ran oclock from a
> Terminal window), I noticed that my additional user fonts were not
> being seen by X11, only the main fonts.  Looked at the system log
> and noticed that even though I had a usable X11, the font caches
> were still being built.  I waited for it to finish to see if by
> chance X11 would noticed, but it didn't.  I shut down and restarted
> X11 and there were all the fonts I was expecting.  So, if using
> extra fonts not in the standard X11 fonts area, the first startup of
> X11 after the install isn't terribly useful.  But all subsequent
> ones seem to have everything one would expect (probably because the
> caches are already built).

Check.  This is now corrected for the next release.  The caches are
supposed to be built during install (in postinst).

> Also, while poking around in the system log to understand the font
> oddity, I noticed this:
> Apr  9 19:38:35 LeoMacPro com.apple.launchctl.Background[164]:
> launchctl: Dubious permissions on file (skipping): /System/Library/
> LaunchAgents/org.x.X11.plist
> Apr  9 19:38:35 LeoMacPro com.apple.launchctl.Aqua[166]: launchctl:
> Dubious permissions on file (skipping): /System/Library/LaunchAgents/
> org.x.X11.plist

> Looking at the plist file itself, sure enough, there is group write
> privilege.  Given your comment about renaming the startx launch
> agent, I was surprised to even see that file (yes, I installed rc3
> on top of rc2 which was on top of 2.1.4 which was on top of the
> Leopard 10.5.2 X11 install).  It doesn't look like it gets loaded
> even if I correct the permissions.  Should it be getting deleted by
> the Installer?

1) That file shouldn't be there.  Please delete it.  It was accidently
present in my install root from 2.2.0_rc2 and I forgot to get rid of
it.  It's a good thing the permissions are incorrect since it should
be deleted.
2) Package Maker.app is crazy.  It overrides the set permissions with
"smart" ones... and since the file didn't exist on my system, but did
in the install root it decided to override the 644 permissions with
664... because it was "smart" ... lucky for us.

It actually is deleted by the installer in preinst, but I accidently
re-installed it (because I forgot to wipe my install root when
building rc3).

> The Installer is adding pkg-config to /usr/local/bin.  If this is
> X11 specific, shouldn't it be in /usr/X11/bin?

Ugg.  Thanks for catching this.  It actually shouldn't be installing
pkg-config at all.  My deep apologies if I fowled it up for someone.
There is probably an OpenSourceLicenses directory and an
OpenSourceVersions directory in /usr/local that you can delete.  These
just contain the licenses for some of the bits of code in X11 and the
plist showing which versions of files were used to build X11 (this
same stuff can be found at developer.apple.com/opensource if you're
interested).

> Other than these oddities, I haven't noticed any usability problems.

Well, those are all now fixed.  Thanks for checking my back =)