[Xquartz-dev] 2.2.1_rc1 and Xquartz-1.4.0-apple3

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Tue Apr 22 01:27:12 PDT 2008

I've rolled together a new package that puts together all the work
that has gone into XQuartz over the past week or so.  We've made a lot
of progress on the stability front and on the migration to the 1.4
branch.

The 2.2.1 release candidate includes recently released versions of
some X11 apps and libs (including pixman and cairo), fixes the most
common crashes in Xquartz, and fixes cmd-tab (which now brings all the
windows forward).

Release notes for 2.2.1 are here:
http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/xquartz/wiki/X112.2.1

The package is available here:
http://xquartz.macosforge.org/downloads/X11-2.2.1_rc1.pkg

There are no known regressions with 2.2.1_rc1 (so please try to find
them).

I'd still like to get the server lockup bug fixed for the 2.2.1
release, but I'm having trouble triggering it.  I need good test cases
for this.  If you can reliably lockup the server, please let me know:
http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/xquartz/ticket/41 - X11 lockup at
__xp_async_dequeue

Also, can someone please confirm that fonts work fine on ppc with 2.2.1:
http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/xquartz/ticket/92 - font issues on
ppc

---

We've also made some progress in getting onto a newer xserver
codebase.  1.4.0-apple3 is available for your testing here (just
replace /usr/X11/bin/Xquartz from the 2.2.1_rc1 package with this one):
http://xquartz.macosforge.org/downloads/Xquartz-1.4.0-apple3.bz2

As mentioned before, 1.4 adds in support for xkb and tablets, so if
you use or want to use anything other than an english keyboard and
mouse, *please* test it out and notify us of regressions.

It addresses the two reported issues with 1.4.0-apple2:
Dragging windows to another space ---> crash
External monitor ---> bork

There are two known issues:
1) Sometimes when X11 is quit, a crash will occur in the new input
handling code.  I would appreciate any assistance in narrowing down
this issue (if there's something you can do that will always trigger
it, for example).

2) There is sometimes some spew at the beginning about 'Failed to lock
mieqEnqueue_mutex'... this is because of a race of one thread to use
the mutex before the other inits it.  I'll have that fixed soon.