[Xquartz-dev] Environment passed to Applications-launched processes

Harald Hanche-Olsen hanche at math.ntnu.no
Fri Aug 29 06:34:36 PDT 2008

+ "Brian Bender" <zt4q4o402 at sneakemail.com>:

> -- X11.app doesn't seem to be inheriting the same environment as
> other Aqua apps (or it's at least not passing it to processes it
> starts from the Applications menu). I have a couple of shell scripts
> as entries in X11's Application menu, and they don't work any more
> (they launch programs that are in /usr/local/bin). I dumped the
> environment to a file from one script, and it's very bare, PATH only
> includes "/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/X11/bin". From my
> /etc/paths and /etc/paths.d, it should also have [...]

I think the problem has nothing to do with what environment X11 gets,
but that your xterms aren't running a login shell. To make sure they
do, they must be started using  xterm -ls  or you need to have

XTerm.vt100.loginShell: true

in your .Xresources file (or otherwise available as a resource to
xterm).

For the former optiion, if you run

defaults write org.x.X11 app_to_run 'xterm -ls'

you ensure the initial xterm runs a login shell. You may need to
customize the X11 Applications menu also.

- Harald