[Xquartz-dev] 2.3.1_rc2

Harald Hanche-Olsen hanche at math.ntnu.no
Fri Aug 29 14:02:20 PDT 2008

+ Jeremy Huddleston <jeremyhu at apple.com>:

> Eh... erm... I didn't change anything in xterm or the font
> rendering/caching areas of X between 2.3.0 and this rc... =/

The problem happens with both local and remote xterm, the remote one
running on a freebsd system. It happens no matter what font I specify
for the xterm. A remote emacs works fine, but I don't think it uses
Xft. To test the hypothesis that Xft rendering is somehow broken, what
other applications can I try? Oh, wait: xfd seems to be one. It works
perfectly, just adding to the mystery.

> I am perplexed, but forcing a font cache update can't hurt:
> sudo /usr/X11/bin/font_cache -f -s && /usr/X11/bin/font_cache -f

Didn't change a thing, but thanks; I'll keep it for future reference.

- Harald