[Xquartz-dev] Initial xterm a login shell?

Merle Reinhart merlereinhart at mac.com
Mon Dec 1 04:46:16 PST 2008

Richard,

The xterm is launched from a login shell, so even though the xterm
itself isn't a login shell, it has inherited from a true login shell.
So, you get the same effect if you are using bash as your shell.

If you use some other shell as your login, then I'd recommend a minor
change to the X11 preferences so that its login shell corresponds to
what you are using:

defaults write org.x.X11 login_shell /bin/tcsh

replacing "/bin/tcsh" with your appropriate shell.
You can use
defaults read org.x.X11
to check before and after.

Merle