[Xquartz-dev] Default xinitrc file

Harald Hanche-Olsen hanche at math.ntnu.no
Mon Dec 1 14:37:39 PST 2008

+ Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa at Freenet.DE>:

> I see one problem (two on Tiger) with
> /usr/X11/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/99-quartz-wm.sh and its contents,
> a one-liner:
>
> 	[ -x /usr/bin/quartz-wm ] && exec /usr/bin/quartz-wm
>
> (on Tiger quartz-wm lives in /usr/X11R6/bin) which IMO stops
> execution of the xinitrc file on line #50 because of the "exec"
> keyword. So no X clients are launched.
>
> Am I wrong?

No, and I expect that is the way it is designed. The stuff at the end
of the xinitrc seems to me just a fallback in case quartz-wm has gone
missing. (Note that twm is among the programs started. You cannot
have more than one window manager running.)

To run X clients of your own choosing, take a look inside
/usr/X11/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/98-user.sh and put your own stuff in
~/.xinitrc.d/*.sh. Indeed, if you wish to run a window manager other
than quartz-wm, this may be a good place to exec your own.

- Harald