[Xquartz-dev] Inkscape & Gimp working & tablets working in 2.3.2_rc2

Gene Selkov selkovjr at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 08:51:27 PST 2008

On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 4:09 PM, Mark Buckingham
<markbuckingham at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just thought you would like to know...
>
> Tablet support for Inkscape & Gimp seems to be working well in 2.3.2_rc2.
>  In 2.3.1, my wacom tablet was visible to the gimp, but would not do
> anything but move the pointer and occasionally freeze the gimp entirely.
>  Now, it's able to draw well with pressure support.

I wish I could confirm this. There must be something that depends on
luck. I have Wacom Bamboo; xinput lists the following devices when it
is plugged in (and even after it is unplugged):

"Virtual core keyboard" id=0    [XKeyboard]
"Virtual core pointer"  id=1    [XPointer]
        Num_buttons is 32
        Num_axes is 2
"keyboard"      id=2    [XExtensionKeyboard]
"pointer"       id=3    [XExtensionPointer]
        Num_buttons is 7
        Num_axes is 2
"pen"   id=4    [XExtensionPointer]
        Num_buttons is 3
        Num_axes is 5
"cursor"        id=5    [XExtensionPointer]
        Num_buttons is 3
        Num_axes is 5
"eraser"        id=6    [XExtensionPointer]
        Num_buttons is 3
        Num_axes is 5

xinput sees the following:

1: "unable to find device 1"

2: works as expected

3: recieves motion and button events *both* from the Apple touchpad
and from the tablet. On the tablet, it sees only tap events as Button
1, and pen buttons as Button 2 and Button 3. Pressure and tilt are not
registered.

4, 5, 6: no events

This is in 2.3.2_rc2 I installed yesterday as a package. Could it be a
compile-time option that's missing in the binary package? What can I
do to help figure it out?

Thanks,

--Gene