[Xquartz-dev] quartz-wm zoom button

Viv Kendon V.Kendon at leeds.ac.uk
Mon Dec 8 02:34:25 PST 2008

On Fri, 5 Dec 2008, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

>>> ls -l Xquartz*
>>> 56 -rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 53484 Dec  4 13:47 Xquartz*
>>> 40 -rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 39200 Nov 27 06:47 Xquartz-1.4.2-apple25*
>>>
>>> I can only tell it is apple26 because it is bigger, it still reports
>>> itself as being apple25 when I ask "about X11".
>>
>> Really?  I see "XQuartz 2.3.2 (xorg-server 1.4.2-apple26)"

Nope, I double checked and I see -apple25 under the X11
menu...

> BTW, you can also just run:
>
> /usr/X11/bin/X -version

...but this does report -apple26.

> I wonder if you replaced the /usr/X11/bin/X symlink with the 1.4.2-apple21
> binary at some point...

I haven't touched that symlink (it is still a sumlink to
Xquartz).  -apple21 is probably the version I updated
before running those tests though.  But I didn't save the
installed copy, I let the installer overwrite it.

I wonder whether somehow launchd (or something deep in OSX
internals) is sometimes hanging on to the actual file
location for the old Xquartz and still launching the old one
even though it has been officially unlinked and replaced
with the new one.  That would definitely cause the old one
to be unhappy, surrounded by files belonging to a newer
distribution.  And it would explain why a crash was enough
to get rid of it when next launched.

-- Viv