[Xquartz-dev] 2.3.2_rc3

Viv Kendon V.Kendon at leeds.ac.uk
Mon Dec 8 02:46:46 PST 2008

On Sun, 7 Dec 2008, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

> On Dec 7, 2008, at 17:04, Andrew Farmer wrote:

>>> I get these too.  They are related to backspaces I think, when editing
>>> text.  The Console doesn't update quite real time, but I think I get them
>>> pretty much any time I use the backspace key in a way that forces a line
>>> to be redrawn in xterm because I've erased some characters and retyped.
>>
>> The fact that the errors don't show up in real time makes this MUCH harder
>> to debug.
>
> You should be able to get them in "real time" if you do 'tail -f
> /var/log/system.log'  or just launch X11 from the terminal directly like:

That doesn't seem to update real time either :( If I select
Console and change logs, it updates in both windows (Console
and my tail in Terminal) at the same time.

> /Applications/Utilities/X11.app/Contents/MacOS/X11

Haven't tried this, will do if it turns out to be useful for
future debugging.

>> After some differential diagnosis (and the discovery of the fact that the
>> "AllocNewConnection" debug message on new windows flushes the queue), it
>> appears that pressing any of the arrow keys is sufficient to produce a few
>> "bad keycode" messages.

I can confirm that arrow keys trigger this on my system too.
I pretty much always use arrow keys when I backspace, to get
to the bit I want to delete, hence the confusion.  I just
checked with vi (which has alternative "arrow" key bindings)
and it only triggers a pair of those bad keycode lines when
I use one of the actual arrow keys...the alternative
bindings are silent.

-- Viv