[Xquartz-dev] 2.3.2_rc3

Gene Selkov selkovjr at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 03:28:10 PST 2008

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 12:19 AM, Jeremy Huddleston <jeremyhu at apple.com> wrote:

> There's nothing suspicious in your system log.  A trace of the X11 process
> could help out here.

You mean something like strace, or should I build it with symbols and
run it in gdb?

I caught it in this condition once again this morning, after the
system woke up and swapped in the existing X11 process. I just shut
the lid yesterday with X11 running (it was running fine then); today I
opened the lid and saw this. Restarting X11 didn't help; it started up
with the same problem. The condition really has something to do with
it being idle. I watched: if it is displaced by other processes while
idle, the CPU usage goes down from 100% to anywhere between 30 and
60%; better yet, any activity in any X11 window brings it down to
2-3%.

The effect disappears after a system restart.

I just tried to see if I could cause it to misbehave by putting my mac
to sleep, but a few short sleep-wake cycles didn't do it. Maybe it
needs a more substantial clock mismatch to trigger this, if the clock
has anything to do with it. I will keep watching it during my normal
work cycle.

The question is: what's the right way to trace it when I see it again.
Obviously, I can't run the whole session in gdb. But when I see it
spin, can I connect gdb to it and find out at least where it spins (if
not what causes it). Alternatively, is there a way to make it dump a
more verbose log?

Thanks,

--Gene