[Xquartz-dev] starting xquartz within a java process

Pelle Johansson pelle at morth.org
Mon Dec 8 09:06:14 PST 2008

7 dec 2008 kl. 22.57 skrev Jeremy Huddleston:

> On Dec 7, 2008, at 13:13, Lorinc Hever wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm working on a feasibility to start xquartz from a java process
>> with
>> JNI. My goal would be to keep the X server in the same process as my
>> java application so this way I can manipulate the X windows itself
>> (mainly reparent, resize and show/hide). To able to do the window
>> manipulation I have to keep X and java in the same process.
>
> That's not really possible... I think what you want to do is write a
> window manager in java (in which case you don't actually need the
> server to be in the same process).

Actually, CrossOver seems to do this, though not in Java... I'm pretty
sure they have a heavily customised X server though, they probably
started with X11.app and built their interfaces around it (don't take
my word for it, I'm just guessing).

Maybe if you really want this you can take the same approach. Instead
of embedding X11 in your app, customize X11.app to load your java
code. It's probably quite a bit of work though...
--
Pelle Johansson