[Xquartz-dev] xorg-server on Macports (works with Tiger)

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Wed Dec 10 02:12:16 PST 2008

I've been spending some time these past few weeks updating the x.org
ports in Macports as well as pushing patches to get the latest X.org
bits building on Tiger.  I'm proud to announce that the latest Xquartz
code can now be built using macports (even on Tiger!!!).

To test this out, just do:

port install xorg-server # if you don't get version 1.4.2_apple27_2,
resync in a bit and try again

then you can run the resulting /Applications/MacPorts/X11.app

For now, you will still need your existing X11 installation (there are
no xorg font packages in portage yet, so I'm using fonts out of $
{x11prefix}), but I hope to start adding font packages in the near
future to eliminate this dependency.

Notes / Cavaets:
If you're on Tiger, you should disable the pasteboard proxying in X11-
 >Preferences->Clipboard or xpbproxy and quartz-wm will fight with
each other.  If you're on Leopard, I recommend you install
Xquartz-2.3.2_rc3 or later first in order to get the latest quartz-wm
(otherwise, you'll be in the same boat as the Tiger folks with the
outdated quartz-wm).