[Xquartz-dev] 2.3.2_rc4

Nicholas Riley njriley at uiuc.edu
Thu Dec 18 13:34:29 PST 2008

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 09:42:28AM +0100, Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:
> I wonder if it would be worthwhile turning that little script into
> something along the lines of
>
> #!/bin/bash --login
>
> if [ -x ~/.x11run ]; then
>  exec ~/.x11run "$(dirname $0)"/X11.bin "${@}"
> else
>  exec "$(dirname $0)"/X11.bin "${@}"
> fi
>
> ? That way, knowledgeable people with weird shells or odd
> requirements can customize their X11 environment to their hearts'
> content.

I'm not sure tcsh or zsh should really be considered a weird shell.
For example tcsh was the default shell on early versions of OS X; bash
wasn't even included in early versions.  Also you'd expect the kind of
audience who uses X11 to actually care about such things.

Anyway as long as you're launching a shell script you might as well
support the shells included with OS X (i.e., contents of /etc/shells),
and execute the user's selected $SHELL.

--
Nicholas Riley <njriley at uiuc.edu> | <http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/njriley>