[Xquartz-dev] 2.3.2_rc4

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Thu Dec 18 14:31:02 PST 2008

On Dec 18, 2008, at 2:25 PM, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

> Do you have a radar number for this?  I'd like to follow the issue
> since your outrage at these sort of assumptions is something I share
> and should be fixed.

Specifically, the assumption should be that $SHELL is never involved
in any shell scripting decision.  As I noted in another message, as
far as the "system" is concerned there is only one shell, /bin/sh.
All the others are conveniences, nothing more, and should never be in
the default execution path for anything but the user's login process
since, as has already been pointed out, this could be anything from
tcsh to the plan 9 shell (rc).

- Jordan