[Xquartz-dev] 2.3.2-rc4 full screen oddities

Viv Kendon V.Kendon at leeds.ac.uk
Sat Dec 20 13:41:17 PST 2008

I just updated to 10.5.6 and installed 2.3.2-rc4.  I've
encountered some oddities with full screen mode.  The first
two aren't show stoppers, but might be quick and easy to
fix:

* if you enable full screen in the X11 prefs, then switch to
it using cmd-opt-a, the bottom strip is still the mac
desktop, to a height the size of the top menu bar. The
missing strip really is mac desktop, clicking on it switches
back to aqua/focus on finder.  Another cmd-opt-a switch back
and forth and it comes out the right full screen size.

* at some points during the cmd-opt-a switching, the
character å gets deposited into whichever X11 window gets
focus.  First find a window in which cmd-opt-a produces this
character (or some effect) when typed directly in rootless
mode.  My ordinary xterms don't produce anything, but
composing email in alpine does, for example.  Then, in
full-screen mode, with the mouse over that window, try a few
switches.  It gets all of them, so two appear after a switch
out and back.

(There are some other ffm related oddities with focus, but
I'm assuming that's not high enough up the list to be worth
reporting for now.)

* now...full screen mode does NOT play nicely with spaces!
I'm currently in full screen mode with the two X11 windows I
had open on Space 3, an Aqua background, no menu bar, and
with the full-screen desktop background and the X11 app I
had open in Space 6 "lost" in Space 6 with no way to switch
to it!  I can also get the full screen desktop background
interleaved with the X11 windows on first switching, I think
others have reported that.  And I just got the X11 desktop
by itself, where in virtual spaces I don't know, but maybe
on top of the X11 app that was in space 6. (How did I get
into this state in the first place?  well, I was trying to
test the cmd-opt-a thing in another app, and RetroOffice
(X11 build of NeoOffice) was open on Space 6...it's an app
bundle so it is natural to start it in a different space.
and yes, it does react to cmd-opt-a, by doing "select all".)

OK, I know that's not how full screen is designed to be used
:-)  I think I'll have to find your instructions for running
two copies of X11, one for full-screen and one rootless...

Finally, something also appears to have changed with the cut
and paste in relation to RetroOffice, I can't find a
combination of pasteboard options that allows the ctr-c and
ctl-v that should work within the app to function properly.
There's a thread around the end of October where it was
first discussed, that work around no longer appears to work
(unselect both "update Pasteboard when CLIPBOARD" and
"Update CLIPBOARD when Pastboard").  But I installed a
RetroOffice update at the same time, so I need to do
considerably more checking and come back with details.  I
think it works OK with fvwm as the window manager, but not
with quartz-wm.

White rectangle ghosts appear to be banished though, well
exorcised!  I still get a bazillion of these:

DarwinPressModifierKey bad keycode: key=5
DarwinPressModifierKey bad keycode: key=7

and are these harmless?

19/12/2008 23:58:20 org.x.startx[5047]
/usr/X11/bin/font_cache: line 207: syntax error near
unexpected token `('
19/12/2008 23:58:20 org.x.startx[5047]
/usr/X11/bin/font_cache: line 207: `    echo "
(-n just pertains to XFont cache, not fontconfig)"'
19/12/2008 23:58:20 org.x.privileged_startx[5056]
/usr/X11/bin/font_cache: line 207: syntax error near
unexpected token `('
19/12/2008 23:58:20 org.x.privileged_startx[5056]
/usr/X11/bin/font_cache: line 207: `    echo "
(-n just pertains to XFont cache, not fontconfig)"'

many many thanks for all the hard work!!

-- Viv