[Xquartz-dev] 2.3.2_rc4

Harald Hanche-Olsen hanche at math.ntnu.no
Sun Dec 21 05:32:11 PST 2008

+ Martin Costabel <costabel at wanadoo.fr>:

> Would you guys please make some tests before lecturing ;-)

There is no need to run a test to know that an unquoted variable
reference will expand to several words in the shell, if there are
spaces in the value of said variable. Neither do you need to run a
test to know that an unmatched quote character spells trouble.

> As I repeatedly wrote here (and I am used to making tests before
> making claims):
> [...]
> 2. The commands like args="${@}" are *necessary* for this to work
> with a tcsh startup shell. Otherwise X11 crashes with errors like
> what I showed before:
>
>> Dec 20 01:11:47 mbookp [0x0-0x62062].org.x.X11[1524]:
>> \312\376\272\276^B^G^C^P^Z\2120^L^R: Command not found.
>> Dec 20 01:11:47 mbookp [0x0-0x62062].org.x.X11[1524]: Illegal
>> variable name.

But you never showed us exactly what you did to get that (very
strange) error.

> Likewise, the situation where X11.app is in a directory with spaces
> or other garbage in its name: In this case, my wrapper script works
> as well as Jeremy's that comes with 2.3.2-rc4 or the one he
> proposed with the ~/.x11run hook: namely not.

That was my proposal. Why doesn't it work?

> Again, nobody has ever complained about this.

Because, as I said, hardly anyone moves their apps around, and even
fewer move them into oddly named directories.

> Anyway, I won't spend any more time on this subject. I found a
> script that resolves the problem Jeremy's had, namely giving a
> login environment to X11 for users that don't have bash as their
> login shell. I have no time for further hair splitting.

I'm glad that you found a solution that works for you. Jeremy,
however, faces the much more challenging problem of finding a
solution that will work for everybody. In that case, worrying about
spaces and quotes in pathnames is hardly hair splitting.

- Harald