[Xquartz-dev] 1.4.2-apple29

Zulli, Louis P zullil at lafayette.edu
Mon Dec 22 13:32:40 PST 2008

Hi again,

Same issues still.

I just reinstalled X11-2.3.2_rc4.pkg. I then followed these instructions:

curl -LO
http://static.macosforge.org/xquartz/downloads/X11.bin-1.4.2-apple29.bz2
bunzip2 X11.bin-1.4.2-apple29.bz2
sudo cp X11.bin-1.4.2-apple29 /Applications/Utilities/X11.app/Contents/
MacOS/X11.bin
sudo chmod 755 /Applications/Utilities/X11.app/Contents/MacOS/X11.bin

(Actually, I followed the first two and then moved X11.bin-1.4.2-apple29 to
/Applications/Utilities/X11.app/Contents/MacOS/  I then changed its
permissions to 755 and did sudo chown root X11.bin-1.4.2-apple29 . Finally I
edited the X11 script in that directory, changing X11.bin to
X11.bin-1.4.2-apple29 )

The situation is actually worse than I reported previously. With X11 set for
full-screen mode but not open, I type xeyes in Terminal. This starts X11, and
for an instant I see the eyes, but then they disappear and I see an empty gray
screen. Two successive toggles using command-option-a and then I see the xeyes
window, but it's in front of my Desktop, not on a gray background. And if I
click on that Desktop I activate Finder.

What's wrong with my system? That is the right binary you posted the link to,
right?

Sorry for taking your time,

Louis