[Xquartz-dev] X EVI Support

Jason Waldrop jjwaldrop at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 10:45:52 PST 2008

Continuation of thread on x11-users (sorry for the brute force messy
copy/paste/quoting):

Jason Waldrop (original question):

>>EVI doesn't seem to work correctly in Xquartz 2.3.2_rc4.  I included <X11/extensions/XEVI.h> and linked against -lXevie but the linker comes up with _XeviQueryExtension not found. I've double checked >>the spelling of the function.

>>Is this extension fully implemented in Xquartz?  xdpyinfo shows that it is...

Martin Costabel:

>>Link against -lXext.

Jeremy Huddleston:

>>1) Join xquartz-dev since that's a more appropriate list to discuss this problem

>>2) Xevie is a dead extension and is being punted in xorg-server-1.6.0, so you should look for another solution if you intend your application to be used past 2008.

>>3) The server's support for XEvie does not have any bearing on your linking against the libXevie library.

>>4) What you are describing should work, so please show the full output (including command line) of your error.

-lXext works fine.  Version given as Major version 1, minor version 1.
 Note this is using 'XeviQueryVersion'

I used 'nm' to generate the symbol table for libXevie.  The relevant
symbol is 'XevieQueryVersion' (note the extra 'e') despite the header
file spelling of 'XeviQueryVersion' (I get the obligatory implicit
declaration warning).  Linking the 'XevieQueryVersion' against -lXevie
works fine; however, when you executing, Xlib responds w/ "extension
XEVIE missing on display ..."

Is this a bug? Given your point #2, I agree it is probably a moot point...