[Xquartz-dev] 2.3.2_rc4

Martin Costabel costabel at wanadoo.fr
Wed Dec 24 02:28:52 PST 2008

Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:

> + Martin Costabel <costabel at wanadoo.fr>:
>
>> Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:
>> []
>>> To make life even more interesting, csh doesn't recognize the -l flag
>>> if it also given the -c flag.
>>
>> This is not what I am observing. I see csh behaving exactly like tcsh
>> in this respect.
>
> Here be evidence (yes, the two shells behave the same):
>
> ; csh -l -c 'echo Howdy.'
> Unknown option: `-l'

I see there was some misunderstanding. I thought you were talking about
behavior with respect to "exec -l".

The -l flag used directly on csh or tcsh has indeed to be the only flag,
and it makes (or tries to make) an interactive shell, so it is not
usable in the present context. OTOH, for bash, it (or its equivalent
--login) *must* be used to get a login environment.

[]
> It works because it does, in fact, use different methods to make a
> non-interactive login process in the bash and (t)csh cases.

Yes, this seems to be inevitable.

--
Martin