[Xquartz-dev] 2.3.2_rc4

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Fri Dec 26 14:15:02 PST 2008

On 26Dec2008 13:14, Jeremy Huddleston <jeremyhu at apple.com> wrote:
> On Dec 26, 2008, at 10:09, Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche at math.ntnu.no>
> wrote:
>> + Jeremy Huddleston <jeremyhu at apple.com>:
>>> Is there a reason we don't do 'exec -l' for bash?
>>
>> Yes.  See my message 20081223.203308.200269054.hanche at math.ntnu.no
>> (date 2008-12-23) on this list:
>>
>> + Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche at math.ntnu.no>:
>>> [...] when bash is run with argument zero equal to -bash it is a
>>> login shell, however it is not interactive and so it doesn't read
>>> the login files unless you also supply --login.
>>
> Right... But why not do both?

Because it would run bash login stuff for non-bash users, and would run
bash login stuff twice for bash users. Neither seems desirable when we can
put the --login option in the bash "exec -l" line in the case statement.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Ed Campbell's <ed at Tekelex.Com> pointers for long trips:
6. *NEVER* trust anyone in a cage, if they weren't nuts they'd be on a
   bike like everyone else.