[Xquartz-dev] 2.3.2_rc4

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Fri Dec 26 15:18:33 PST 2008

On 26Dec2008 23:56, Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche at math.ntnu.no> wrote:
> + Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>:
>> Fairly importantly, the:
>>   #!/bin/sh
>> line needs to be:
>>   #!/bin/bash
>> because we're using the bash-specific "exec -l".
>
> Oops. Good catch. Though sh on macos actually is bash, so it doesn't
> actually matter in practice.

No, it does matter. When bash is invoked as sh it tries to be more POSIX
adherent. Now, that may merey extend to avoiding behaviour in violation
of POSIX as opposed to avoid behaviour in extension of POSIX, but if
we're relying on bash features we should run bash as bash.

>> A minor question: why "${@}" instead of "$@" ? And why "${SHELL}"
>> instead of "$SHELL"?
>
> No good reason, I think.

I have a stylistic preference for the shorter form myself, but know
others lean the other way. So I'm not voting strongly either way here.

>> And we should put a usage message and abort at the top if there are no
>> arguments i.e. no command supplied:
>
> Yup.

Ta.

How do you feel about moving the case statement into the external
with-login-env script? Having the latter available as complete as possible
has uses elsewhere, eg in cron or run execution:

  0 0 * * * /path/to/with-login-env some command or other ...

Jeremy, is acquiring an extra utility script acceptable to you?

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/