[Xquartz-dev] 2.3.2_rc4

Harald Hanche-Olsen hanche at math.ntnu.no
Sat Dec 27 03:26:30 PST 2008

+ Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>:

> On 27Dec2008 09:43, Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche at math.ntnu.no> wrote:
> | Would it make sense to drop the --have-login-env command line flag and
> | just test for the presence of _WITH_LOGIN_ENV_QUOTED_COMMAND in the
> | environment instead?
> [...]
> It could be done, but what does it do for us? I can't see that it solves
> any specific problem. [...]
> So, can you explain what this change gains for us?

As you noted, it simplifies the script and makes it easier to
understand, to me at least. But that is all. And your note on blindly
evalling an environment string is well taken, though, of course, if
the user really has an environment variable with such an unlikely name
lying around already, it's a real possibility that they are in fact
setting it up in their login script - in which case we're hosed
anyhow. So to me, using the command line argument is a complication
with a very marginal gain. OTOH, my proposed simplification is also
relatively minor, so I am not going to argue it further.

- Harald