[Xquartz-dev] xorg-server on Macports (works with Tiger)

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Sun Dec 28 12:32:00 PST 2008

On Dec 28, 2008, at 03:19, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 27.12.2008 um 16:00 schrieb Peter Dyballa:
>
>> There is something buggy left in the new version: when I switch off
>> full-screen mode from the menu, then the X clients appear on screen ?
>> but the ? menu bar goes away! When I then switch to a Quartz
>> application the X clients go away and the ? menu bar returns.
>

> The ``?´´ stands for an apple. Is there no improvement for neither
> the list software nor Mail to handle UTF-8 or similiar encodings?

I'm using Mail.app on Leopard, and I saw the  in your previous
mail.  Additionally, it was retained when I hit reply to that mail.
Is it maybe some mail filtering on your mail server?

> The white rectangles did not reappear, and either the apple menu
> bar. When the X11 clients are visible, achieved by clicking at the
> X11 icon in dock, the apple menu bar is invisible. When I pick a
> Quartz application the X clients become invisible and the apple menu
> bar appears.

Right, that's how it's supposed to be for fullscreen

> In this state only Desktop Manager "feels" the mouse cursor and
> appears.

I don't know what you mean by this...

> Dock is immune. When I press ⌘-, the preference pane of X11 appears
> – and the X11 clients vanish.

That's expected.

> When I switch from Mail to the X11 preference pane for a moment the
> X clients appear and the Quartz applications seem to be invisible.
> The Quartz again is visible und usable.

I think that's a special case for when you re-enter a fullscreen X11
but had a native window open (the preferences window), so it left
X11.  I agree that's not ideal, but it's a rare condition and
something I've never noticed myself.

> When I switch off full-screen mode in the preference pane, blackbox
> WM's "dock" never appears,

That's probably because it is being rendered offscreen because the new
X11screen is a few pixels shorter now (because of the lack of the menu
bar).

That is an edge case and hopefully something that will be taken care
of with RandR

> i.e., neither when the focus is owned by a Quartz application nor
> when it's owned by an X client.
>

> It's nice that I can un-bury X clients by clicking at the X11 icon
> in dock, but it's not nice in full-screen mode that X11 takes
> reliably over when I switch from X11 to a Quartz application that I
> then quit.

Again, that's not "X11" doing it... it's "OSX".  File a bug report
feature request at http://bugreport.apple.com to ask for a fix to
this... perhaps an option like "Finder becomes active application
after an application exits rather than the previously active
application"