[Xquartz-dev] 2.3.2_rc5 quitting and restarting

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Tue Dec 30 16:04:46 PST 2008

On Dec 30, 2008, at 15:44, John Koren wrote:

> Jeremy
>
> here is my simplified .xinitrc:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> cd ~
> /sw/bin/rxvt -tcw &
> /usr/X11/bin/xpbproxy &
> exec /usr/bin/quartz-wm

Don't do that.  Do this:

cd ~
/sw/bin/rxvt -tcw &
. /usr/X11/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc

> I use /usr/bin/true as X11 startup application.
>
> Following are the system log excerpts:
>
> A)
> A1) successful startup of X11.app after a system reboot
> A2) quitting of X11.app
> A3) restart after 1 minute in which rxvr quit immediately and X11
> stalled
>
> B) (after a system reboot and successful startup of X11.app)
> B2) quitting of X11.app
> B3) restart after 18 sec in which rxvt did not complete drawing of the
> frame and X11 stalled
>
> Let me know if you need more details.
>
> -John
>
> A)
>
> A1) after reboot starting up X11.app successfully:
> A2) quitting:

Those two look fine...

> A3) restarting after one minute (rxvt quit immediately after it
> appeared on the tesktop
> , X11 is frozen):
>
> Dec 30 14:55:53 jkpb defaults[518]: \nThe domain/default pair of
> (org.x.X11, dpi) does
> not exist

Why is that not going to /dev/null?  Can you please 'grep dpi /usr/X11/
bin/startx'?

Everything looks fine in A3...

> B)
> (system reboot and successful startup of X11.app)
>
> B2) quitting X11.app:

Looks fine...

> B3) restarting X11.app after 18 sec (rxvt window frame not finished
> drawing; X11 stalled)

That all looks good as well...

I need a sample of X11 in this hung state you mention and log snippets
of it failing to start and throttle.