[Xquartz-dev] 2.1.2 release candidate

Merle Reinhart merlereinhart at mac.com
Thu Jan 10 04:24:35 PST 2008

Actually, in previous releases the default environment of an xterm
launched from the X11 Applications menu was the environment of the X11
application.  It does use the user's login shell, but did not run the
logins by default (exactly like all other Applications launched from
the Finder as Greg pointed out).

I'm guessing why it worked for you Martin in previous releases was
because you modified the default environment that Mac OS X used for
all launched applications (your ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist).

In Tiger, the default Leopard and Xquartz 1.3.0-apple5 the default
PATH an xterm started from the X11 Applications menu is
/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/X11/bin.

I admit that I haven't had time yet to install the latest 2.1.2rc and
see what it does yet (hopefully tonight).

Merle