[Xquartz-dev] 2.1.2 released

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at berkeley.edu
Sun Jan 13 14:10:34 PST 2008

On Jan 13, 2008, at 13:36, robert delius royar wrote:
> Two things I notice on my system after installing this upgrade
> 1. It forced a restart (during a TimeMachine hourly backup), and after
>    the restart backups would not run.  There was a file marked
>    ".incomplete" for that backup.  I have read of other forced
> restarts
>    (other than from Apple updates) appearing to interfere with
>    TimeMachine.  I am still waiting to see if the next window for
>    TM leads to a backup--so far there have been seven failed attempts.

Ok, well unfortunately I can't do anything about time machine.  My
advice is to not install stuff during the backup if it's buggy about
handling that.

> 2. I did the defaults write, but top shows an extra bash process--is
>    that to be expected?  I do not see any tcsh processes other than
> the
>    ones I started on my own.

You need to install Xquartz-1.3.0-apple8 in /usr/X11/bin.  That was a
last minute change I made for Martin, and I didn't thuroughly test
it.  1.3.0-apple8 should work as you expect.  You will see the
original bash --login process still, but all your applications will be
launched using tcsh on top of that.  If you really want to get rid of
the bash process, then edit /System/Library/LaunchAgents/
org.x.X11.plist and get rid of those two lines.  XQuartz will then
have a stripped down environment which means you'll need to give full
paths to applications in the Applications menu that live outside of /
usr/X11/bin {/,/usr/}{s,}bin

See the release notes: http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/xquartz/wiki/X112.1.2

>  I mention TM because I wonder whether there are incompatibilities
> between TM and forced restart by third-party installers.

This isn't a third party installer.  This is Apple's Installer.app.
We're not using vise or anything like that.

>  I can't imagine that any changes in Xquartz or X11.app would affect
> TM.

Yeah, I don't think that is the case either.