[Xquartz-dev] The broken X11SDK.pkg from xcode-3.1

Martin Costabel costabel at wanadoo.fr
Thu Jul 17 09:54:14 PDT 2008

(changing the subject to reflect the changed contents)
Martin Costabel wrote:
> Martin Costabel wrote:
> []
>> It turns out that despite its small size, the xcode-3.1 X11SDK.pkg
>> contains a few *.la files that do not correspond to the dylibs that are
>> present on the Leopard 10.5.4 X11.
>>
>> Thus, while it fixes the bug with libXrandr.2.0.0.dylib, it introduces a
>> similar new bug with libpng12.0.26.0.dylib, and it has a couple of *.la
>> files, for libXdamage, libcairo, libpixman, that have no corresponding
>> dylib.
>>
>> Not much fun if you want to use it for compiling autotools-based software.
>
> The first error reports are coming in...
[]
> Thus any linker line using gnu libtool and containing the flag
>
>    -L/usr/X11/lib -lXdamage
>
> will fail on Leopard 10.5.4 with stock X11 and xcode-3.1. Likewise for
>
>    -L/usr/X11/lib -lpng

Here is another bug; this one prevents qt4-x11 from building:

The header file /usr/X11/include/fontconfig/fontconfig.h from the
xcode-3.1 X11SDK.pkg claims that fontconfig is version 2.5.0. In
reality, the fontconfig library on stock Leopard X11 is version 2.4.1.

qt4-x11 checks for the version number and, if it is >= 2.4.2, uses
symbols like FcFreeTypeQueryFace that are present in newer versions, but
not in the older one in stock X11. The result is a failed build.

Apple should really get their act together and pull this broken
X11SDK.pkg from xcode-3.1. Either update xcode to 3.1.1 or make
available a separate X11SDK.pkg. The current situation is a disgrace.

I wonder what the guy who put this package into xcode-3.1 was thinking,
if at all.

--
Martin