[Xquartz-dev] Fullscreen in rootless mode

Bob bob.spamnot at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 07:10:01 PDT 2008

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before on this list but I don't
remember seeing it.

It would be really nice to have true fullscreen in rootless mode. This is
different than rooted fullscreen support (which would also be great) and so
could be implemented faster. What I mean is for a window to be able to cover
the entire screen (including mac menu bar and dock) in rootless mode. For
example, eye of gnome (eog) has a fullscreen mode that in linux makes it
cover the entire screen including the gnome panels (i.e., menus, window
switcher, etc). When eog fullscreen is used on mac in rootless mode it
covers most of the screen but not the menu bar. I'm not sitting at my
leopard machine so I cannot remember what it does with the dock when not
hidden, but I know if the dock is hidden then it correctly uses all the
space to the bottom of the window.

The behavior of covering the menu bar and dock is exactly what many Mac OS X
applications do when in "fullscreen" mode. For example iPhoto, Dvd Player,
and iMovie to name a few. Why shouldn't X11 applications have the same
behavior. Is X11 a 2nd class citizen?

I realize that this request is different than what people usually mean but
X11 fullscreen (i.e., X11 rooted mode), but it would be great to have both
and their implementation would likely be different.  I've added this request
to the fullscreen bug report on the wiki but thought I would mention it here
as well to see what everyone thought.